The Latest in Waterborne Technology for the Aerospace Industry
We accept Visa We accept Mastercard

Contracting Around Tight Radius Corners

Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 3:43 AM Quote
I have endeavored a few times to inspire the Superflight texture to shrivel around the approx. 2.5" - 3" sweep corners of my rudder, however am in every case left with real wrinkles. I utilize the methodology appeared in the Stewart recordings, which are plainly a bigger radii service and with ceconite texture, which appears to recoil more for a similar iron temp. I begin the iron at around 225-250, and have had a go at sloping it up to 300-325 in the end, yet at the same time can't get enough shrinkage. Any considerations on what I should attempt straightaway? Much appreciated
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 2:57 PM Quote
For shrinking around tight corners, you can try pulling the fabric or tape from the beginning of the curve toward the end of the curve, toward the straight edge.  2-1/2" to 3" is pretty tight and is smaller than the panels use in our workshops.   Working the temp up from 250 to work out the wrinkles is the correct practice.  Use the sharp point of the iron on the wrinkle, working it out toward the edges.  No problem using the heat up to 350 on an individual wrinkle; just remember to turn it down from there.
Marty Feehan
Stewart System Instructor/Trainer